Shake Up Some Butter

by Handjobs for the Home on February 7, 2011

Who doesn’t like butter? Yeah, that’s what I thought. Butter is one of those things that is delicious in everything and on anything. Bread and butter  is one of the simplest food pairings ever, and one of my favorite things to eat.  It is not only because butter is fantastic, but also because, let’s face it–bread is awesome–and I’m an admitted carbivore. I could eat bread all day every day–it’s a wonderful thing. So I figured what better homespun food project than making my own butter?

Here’s what you’ll need:

A small canning jar–or any relatively small jar with a tight-fitting lid (about 6 oz)
Organic Heavy Whipping Cream (buy the best possible cream as it greatly affects the final product)
1/4 tsp of salt
One strong arm

Begin by filling your jar up with cream–but make sure not to fill it to the tippy top. You are going to need a little room for expansion, and space for the cream to move around in.

I filled my jar up to the first rim, which is a good mark to go by if using a ball canning jar.

Next, it’s time to add the salt to your cream.

Once all ingredients are inside your jar, screw your lid on tightly. Now, this is where the fun begins–set a timer for 15 minutes, and start shaking. You’re going to go through 3 phases:

1) Your cream will begin to get frothy and look a little like whipped cream (or shaken cream in this case).

2) It’s going to seem like nothing is moving around and that you are shaking a jar too full of cream, but fear not, keep shaking.

3) Your cream will begin to separate into actual butter and a creamy watery white liquid.  This is when you know you can stop shaking.

It will look something like the two above photos. To finalize your product, carefully take your jar to the sink and pour out your liquid. And voila, you have made your first batch of butter!

I was so blown away by just how tasty this butter turned out that I actually ended up using all of it in the cooking I did later in the day. (Sundays are usually the day that Alex and I whip up a bunch of stuff for the week, and we finished the entire jar of homemade butter.) You can also make variations on this butter by adding herbs, spices, or even sugar for a delicious sweet butter–great on biscuits and such.

Happy shaking!

Related posts:

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Karen Sieredzinski February 9, 2011 at 1:20 am

I use a beater, much faster. You can also add strawberries when in season or frozen (defrosted) and drained. Yummy

Handjobs for the Home February 9, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Very true. I like shaking the butter because it separates the butter from the buttermilk. But yes whipping is also a good option if you are looking for some quick and easier butter.

Jerrica March 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I tried making butter for the first time today in my mixer, it went really well :) When I read this post I thought “this dude made it in a mason jar? What am I waiting for?”

I will never buy store bought butter again.

Handjobs for the Home March 10, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Homemade butter is excellent. For dinner parties, it is a must. The mixer is a great quick way to make butter, but homemade makes you work for it. I like to think I burn off some calories this way… :)

Danielle March 16, 2011 at 1:37 pm

If you have kids this is a great ‘project’ for them. I do it with kids (actually teens) at work and they love it. You can also use the same technique with two coffee cans, ice, salt, and flavorings to make ice cream.

Handjobs for the Home March 16, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Danielle, awesome idea with the ice cream! I remember doing that back in high school.

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom June 12, 2011 at 11:50 am

Now this is something I could do! How wonderful! I wonder if this could easily be turned into cultured butter as well? Thank you for the inspiration :)

Handjobs for the Home June 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

That I am not sure about, but this butter is awesome. You can also make it in a stand mixer but what’s the fun in that?

Trisha August 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Why throw out that wonderful buttermilk that you made along with the butter? I think homemade buttermilk tastes great-I used to think that I didn’t like it-but that’s because I was comparing it to cultured buttermilk from the store-basically a yogurt like product and not what our ancestors drank as buttermilk. Drink it or put it in smoothies or make some buttermilk biscuits.