Habanero Hot Sauce

by Handjobs For The Home on March 22, 2012

Hot sauce is one of those things –everybody loves it. Or at least everyone I know does. I could pretty much put it on anything. Pizza with hot sauce anyone?! But I’m pretty much over store bought hot sauce like Tabasco. In my opinion it has no real flavor — just hot. Homemade hot sauce though? Now that’s a different story…

I went back and forth with my execution of this hot sauce. At first I thought a fermented hot sauce would be good, but then I realized it was too much waiting. But then again, I haven’t fermented much. And then I realized I kind of wanted some hot sauce ASAP.¬†Sooo, I decided to whip up a batch in the trusty old blender.

One thing I did know from the get-go was that I wanted a habanero hot sauce. Back in the day when I used to work at a little restaurant in Beacon, New York called Homespun Foods (a must eat if you live anywhere nearby) my good friend and chef Claudia use to make this amazing bright orange habanero hot sauce. I ate it by the jarful. Lets just say an egg sandwiches has never been the same. I really wish I had the recipe, but I do not. So I was left up to my own devices.

When I went to the market to hunt for ingredients I went a little overboard with the peppers. They were just so gorgeous and neon I couldn’t stop stuffing them in my bag. So needless to say, this recipe makes quite a bit of hot sauce. Feel free to cut it down or bulk it up if you really want.

Now, this recipe might be safe for canning but I am not sure. There is a good amount of vinegar, but also a decent about of garlic and peppers, etc. So my advice — fridge it and make your friends love you more by giving them a jar. Trust me, they will thank you.

Oh and one more note: this hot sauce is no joke. It is effing hot. A little dab will do ya.

Recipe adapted from Rick Bayless

Habanero Hot Sauce

Ingredients

• 15 cloves garlic, unpeeled
  • 1 1/2 cup peeled, roughly chopped carrots
  • 1 1/2 cup roughly chopped white onion
  • 40 medium orange habanero chiles, stemmed
  • 1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 6 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar

Instructions

1. Toast garlic in a skillet over medium heat until blackened in spots. Turn occasionally until soft and easy to peel -- about 10 -15 minutes.
  2. In a saucepan, combine the carrots, onion, and habanero chilies with vinegar and 3 cups of water. Cover partially and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes or until the carrots are completely soft.
  3. Pour in batches into the blender with the roasted garlic, salt and sugar and blend until smooth.
  4. Store in canning jars refrigerated for up to 4 months.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Related posts:

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Meredith March 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Habaneros would make a great hot sauce! Despite their intense spiciness, they have such a great flavor. That said, I still love Louisiana bran hot sauce, but I really dislike Tabasco.

Handjobs For The Home March 23, 2012 at 11:43 am

I’ll have to try the Louisiana brand sometime. However, I’ve got a lot of this hot sauce to work through first :)

Mackenzi March 23, 2012 at 9:15 pm

You know where to find me if you need to unload some of this magic.

Sabrina April 4, 2012 at 4:29 am

I found you through your minted grapefruit. Needless to say, I am now totally hooked. I love love love your site. Consider me a brand new fan.
Cheers from San Francisco,
X
Sabrina

Handjobs For The Home April 4, 2012 at 11:51 am

Woohoo! Thanks so much Sabrina, that means the world.

Might I also add that your blog is absolutely beautiful. I adore your photos.

Rebecca April 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Your site is the best! I found b/c I went to make strawberry-lemon preserves and had left my book at our lake house. Found it on your blog…and oh, so much more! Just made the habanero sauce. Decided to put it through a chinois to get rid of seeds (damn! It’s hot snuff). Plan on making dozens of deviled eggs for Easter on Sunday and this sauce on the side will really bring out the “devil” in deviled eggs! Looking forward to more goodies from you…

Handjobs For The Home April 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Thank you so much Rebecca! That strawberry lemon preserve is one of my favorite things on the planet. I love it on pound cake with vanilla ice cream during the summer.

Your devilish plans for the habanero hot sauce sound awesome! Let me know how it turns out :)

Brian August 3, 2012 at 12:00 am

Great stuff. I used scotch bonnets from the garden. Yummy sauce!!

Connie Bussey August 5, 2012 at 1:00 am

I’m pretty sure that if someone didn’t feel it was safe to water bath can, that pressure canning it would be perfect. I’m def. going to try this recipe and pressure can it.

Spicy Pete September 29, 2012 at 11:31 pm

We just made the habanero hot sauce. Very good. Highly recommend if you like HOT hot sauce. This will replace the habanero sauce I buy at the store. We plan to make more tomorrow with peppers from the farmers market. One batch makes a little over 8 cups and costs about $5. Great!

Handjobs For The Home October 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much!

Paul Holland October 29, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Just found your sauce and would like to know can you freeze it?

Leslie December 19, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I made this recipe using red long peppers and jalapenos. It’s a great base recipe and has amazing flavor! Thanks for sharing!!

karl albrercht February 24, 2013 at 10:16 am

I am amking pepper sauce for decades, since having married a girl from Trinidad. However, every batch I make turns out different since I never stop experimenting to finally arrive at the best recipe, to my liking, of course. I notice the old carrot, a single one or a whole bunch, added as a “filler”; I suggest to try a handful of chopped up stringles, round french beans which are quite neutral in taste and give the sauce a nice tinge, I find the orangy paste of carrotin, mustard and already orange habas too much, especially when whizzed to a cream- reminds me of
baby’s…, you know what I mean? Another clue to pass on: for re-heating before bottling and for sterilizing the clean glass jars, the microwave is ideal, especially for the jars which only need to be coated inside with water, then put in the micro for 2, 3 minutes until they are too hot to handle without a towel or glove, then being sterilized and ready to be filled; saves all that old-fashioned boiling water bath business. So, brothers and sisrters in arms, keep on improving mankind’s life by chopping and bottling the old Habanero!