From Scratch Pita

by Handjobs For The Home on April 3, 2012

My motto for pretty much everything is, “I could make that.” Whether it be food or home decor. I mean this is Handjobs For The Home after all. So needless to say, inspiration is kind of endless for me. It’s finding the time to execute that seems to be the problem (ahem, sorry for the lack of posts here kiddos).

Living in Astoria, aka little Athens, I’m surrounded by Greek food on a daily basis. And with Greek food comes pitas. Do you see where I’m going with this?

I never thought making pita would be something that would come so naturally to me, but as I was proofing my dough I felt totally in my element. It’s fun, it’s fast, and completely rewarding. Bread making is one of those things that just gets me really excited — something only a real food dork would admit.

So I give you this piece of advice aspiring bread makers, get into the kitchen and do it. It’s really not that hard, I promise.

This recipe is a great base for other flavored pitas. Feel free to add roasted garlic, herbs and spices, or keep it plain and simple.

Serve along side some killer hummus, eat it with eggs for breakfast, or grill up some kabobs for some authentic Greek realness!

From Scratch Pita

Ingredients

• 1 Package of Quick Rising Yeast
  • 1/2 C. Warm Water
  • 3 C. AP Flour
  • 1 1/4 Tsp Salt
  • 2 Tsp. Sugar
  • 1 C. Warm Water

Instructions

1. Dissolve quick rising yeast in a 1/2 C. of warm water. Add 1 tsp sugar and stir to dissolve. Let sit undisturbed for 10-15 minutes until the water is bubbly.
  2. Combine flour, salt, and 1 tsp. sugar in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Make a small hole in the middle of flour mixture and pour yeast water in and stir lightly until combined.
  4. In a stand mixer with a dough hook attachement slowly add 1 cup of warm water and kneed for 10-15 minutes. While the dough kneeds, slowly add a little flour (about 4 Tbsp in total) until it is no longer sticky and is smooth.
  5. Drizzle a little vegetable oil in a large bowl and place the dough into the bowl. Flip the dough over so that it is evenly coated in oil.
  6. Loosly cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 3 hours. It should double in size.
  7. Preheat oven to 500 F. with the rack on the lowest level and two sheet pans in the oven.
  8. Roll out dough into a long loaf on a floured surface and cut into 10 equal pieces.
  9. Make each section into a small ball and using a rolling pin flatten out into 6" circles. Each circle should be about 1/4 inch thick.
  10. Bake each loaf for 4 minutes, then turn over and bake for another 2 minutes.
  11. Remove from baking sheet and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or, freeze up to 1 month.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Related posts:

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Eileen April 3, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Yay, homemade pitas! Is there a particular reason to use quick-rising yeast? Mine is from the bulk bin…

Handjobs For The Home April 3, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I use quick rising yeast for this recipe so that it rises quicker (duh) and has a slightly more airy texture. I use quick rising for foccacia bread as well.

Thanks for stopping by Eileen!

Gaby April 3, 2012 at 10:06 pm

i just figured out how i am spending my weekend!!

Handjobs For The Home April 4, 2012 at 11:52 am

emeline April 4, 2012 at 11:52 am

YUMMMMM – I also recognize an tea-towel here ;)

Handjobs For The Home April 4, 2012 at 11:52 am

I knew you would :) I absolutely adore them!

Iris April 4, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I kinda have the same “I could make that” motto but bread is the one thing I never make myself. Not sure why! It feels like I don’t eat it enough to justify going through the effort of making it, when a baker can do it much better AND it’s cheap.

May have to try your recipe, though :)

Handjobs For The Home April 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Yes, it is definitely easier you buy bread from the bakery, but I’m all about personal satisfaction and making bread totally fulfills me. Give it a try, you might be surprised how much you love it.

Elizabeth April 4, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Pitas are so easy. Will be starting the Easter cooking preparation soon. Roast lamb, dolmades and spanakopita. Pitas come later for left-overs.

Robin Ripley April 30, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Oh, oh, oh. I love homemade pita. Yours look absolutely delicious! I make mine on a pizza stone. They’re larger too and quite soft. I think I will give your version a shot. They do look tasty.

Jordan May 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm

man, your recipes always look so tasty! I’ve never tried pitas before and now…. yes, definitely. and with hummus! and olives! and pickles! (because, of course, right?! do pickles even go with hummus? :) Thanks for the inspiration.

Melanie June 14, 2012 at 1:25 pm

As far as I have been able to tell reading through blogs lately, all bread is made the same way! Same ingredients, same instructions, just rolled out differently and cooked for differing times. Basic recipes for your pita, english muffin and plain bread have all been more or less the same. Am I going nuts? They all have such difference flavours!

I have just come across your blog through the From Scratch Club blog, I’m loving it you are incredibly creative and talented :)

MamaCarole June 30, 2012 at 3:11 am

Hello. I miss your posts. I hope all is well.